Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kiddo Craft-o's: Watermelon Slice

One of the things I do for volunteer work in my community to run a weekly craft-time at our local library. It's a total blast and it gets my brain working to come up with new and fun crafts. Some are off the top of my head and some have been inspired by others (duly credited, of course). I thought I'd do a weekly progression of the crafts we've tried out.

This week was so darn-tootin' hot, I thought it would be fun to cool down with some watermelon slices. Wish we could have eaten them!!

To do this craft you need:

Paper Plate
Salt
Red and Green Paint 
Marker
Used Tupperware
Paint Brush
Glue
Water
Spoons
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

~Pour some salt into a tupperware and mix it up with a splash of red paint that's been watered down. Do the same in a separate container for the green salt. 
~On the paper plate sketch a triangle for the watermelon, rind included:
~ Water down some glue in a container and mix it up. Use a paint brush to paint the rind section of the picture entirely with glue.
~Spoon some green salt over the rind section. Patting down when need and gently shake of the excess onto a paper towel. 
~Now paint with glue the entire melon section, pour the red salt over it, pat it down, and shake off the excess.
~To glue the sunflower seeds onto it, scrape a little hole in the melon salt where you want the seed to go and put a dab of glue in the hole, then press the sunflower seed on top of it. Let the whole thing dry and VOILA!! A slice of melon. Cute, huh??
I am sharing this project here (check them out and be inspired!!):







Photobucket

giveaways
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!






Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

The Girl Creative







Making
Sumo Sweet Stuff
The DIY Show Off






Get your craft on Thurs.

giveaways




Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

8 comments:

  1. That really does look as if it should be edible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the kiddos!!! How do you come up with so many projects???

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE! You could do so many other things with this!! I just started a link party and I would LOVE it if you'd consider adding your crafts to it! I'm having flower headband giveaway as part of our first party too! http://imtopsyturvy.com/index.php/2010/07/topsy-turvy-tuesdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I'm sure kids would have a blast with this!

    Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw this picture, I thought "FUN DIP!!" :) You can tell I'm a sweet tooth lover. Awesome post!

    http://alltheabcsofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like so much fun! I'll have to try this with my 3 year old.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i thought this was a crochet mat! kind of like that crochet grass mat that I posted..

    you inspired me to do some children room' designs...

    cool.

    btw. we're having a DIY/craft TUTORIAL link party on our blog, every Wednesday. come link up, when you can

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! I do LOVE your craft ideas.They are wonderful!

    Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! See you again soon :-)

    Maggy
    Red Ted Art
    http://www.redtedart.com/?p=3056

    ReplyDelete

gimme dat comment.