Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yarn Covered Hanger Craft

Doesn't it drive you crazy when your clothes keep sliding off the hanger?? Here's a project that will keep those clothes where they belong!! Awhile back I found some yarn covered hangers in my father closet. When I asked him about them, he explained that they were made by my Great Grandfather when he, at the end of his life, was blind. He would make these for family and friends as a way to keep his hands busy. So, I thought I'd give it try!! 
It's really simple. Here's what you need:

Hangers
Leftover balls of yarn
Hot Glue

  • Tie the end of the yarn to a the apex of the hanger, just before the hook. 
  • Make little hitch knots around the hanger. As you can see in this very bad sketch I made:
  • You just tie one end of the yarn (in blue) and then make a loop on one side of the hanger. Then, you have your yarn ball on the opposite side and you go over the hanger and through the loop. Do this for the whole length of the hanger.
  • When you get to the end, use hot glue to attach it over the tip. 
  • I attached some fabric flowers I made (with hot glue) to add a little pizazz. 
  • Another tip you can do is tape two metal hangers together and make yarn knots over them, making a really heavy duty hanger, perfect for winter coats and such. 

 Fun, huh?? Give it a try. It's the perfect project to do while watching a movie.

Here are the parties I joined, check them out and be inspired!!!


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up         party!












Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special














The DIY Show Off
Keeping It Simple
mmm button
Making























All Thingz Related









Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties

Get Your Craft On Tuesday

http://www.thethriftyhome.com
Show and Tell Green
giveaways





Get your craft on Thurs.


Beyond The Picket Fence






Punkin Seed Productions

9 comments:

  1. I like these so much better than padded fabric-covered ones! They are delicate and super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed checking out your hanger craft. I followed your link from over at Its so very Cheri's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool! I remember my grandmother had a bunch of these in her closet. I just thought she wanted her clothes to be on pretty hangers. I never knew it was to keep the clothes from falling off. I guess you learn something new everyday right?!

    Thanks for linking to Messy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. I like the idea of double strong hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Heaven knows I have enough yarn lying around. I'm definitely gonna play with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fun to see what others are up to - looks cute and it's something that my kiddos would have fun doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would keep my daughter busy for awhile...I'm trying this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun hanger fix! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete

gimme dat comment.